gnome, gnome-terminal desktop icon oddity

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Dec 29 15:57:12 UTC 2013

On 12/29/2013 08:43 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 07:55:12 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> But for me:
>>
>> [rgm at lx120e ~]$ cat Desktop/gnome-terminal.desktop
>> cat: Desktop/gnome-terminal.desktop: No such file or directory
> You need to create it (copy it there) first:
>
>    cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop ~/Desktop
>
> Then install and run "gnome-tweak-tool" package:
>
>    yum -y install gnome-tweak-tool
>
> When using GNOME Shell, run gnome-tweak-tool, enable "Icons on Desktop".
>
> Double-click the gnome-terminal icon on desktop to start a terminal.
> After a reboot (at least here), the terminal starts in / dir instead
> of $HOME.
Oh, so this is what I need to do to get terminal on my desktop like I
use to have all the time, but have gotten use to no longer having?

Otherwise, what does creating this file gain me?  I have already enabled
Icons on Desktop.

Oh, and I have lost <ctl-alt-l> to lock my desktop. somewhere along with
all this tweaking.