fedora update

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 29 16:43:10 UTC 2013

Patrick Dupre writes:

> Hello,
>
> I burnt a DVD fedora 20 to update my distro.

I do not believe that updating via the distro DVD images is implemented any
more. You must use fedup to update.

> However, it fails the test at 12.6%.
> It there a risk to make an update using fedup?

Yes.

> I always have the option to download a package which may
> be damaged.

You are assuming that you will be able to boot at all, after skipping the
damaged package.

If the damaged package is glibc, or one of the critical gnome, systemd, or
kernel packages, don't expect to be able to boot the resulting brick.

Also, you do not know whether the remaining 88% of your DVD is any good at
all.

Besides, this is probably a moot point, since updating must be done via
fedup.

If you do happen to have a DVD image, you could skip downloading a bunch of
stuff by using fedup --iso. But you don't need to actually burn the ISO
image, for that, and, in fact, fedup does not support CD/DVD based updates
(as I was amusingly informed on one of my machines by fedup, which was very
convinced that my /home mount, with the DVD image, was a physical DVD drive).