Reverse E-Mail Blockage.....

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 30 04:59:47 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 03:08 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 12/29/2013 10:53 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 12/29/2013 07:37 PM, Tim wrote:
>>> In the past, I've emailed friends, and my first or second posting has
>>> gone into their spam bucket, without them doing anything about it.
>>
>> I have a friend who's email service sporadically bounces my email.
>> Why?  Because I own my own domain, I use my hosting company's email
>> servers instead of my ISP's and a small number of their customers are
>> spammers.  Whenever their spam gets above a certain threshold, her
>> ISP blocks any email access from those servers, and cuts us off.
>> This is why I dislike blacklists: they're just about guaranteed to
>> produce at least 99% false positives because they're just an exercise
>> in throwing the baby out with the bath water.
>
> Well this is all fascinating to me. I'm not using a mail server, just
> trying to keep the size of my Inbox down, since the more spam it gets
> the fatter it gets as well....I will be looking into all possibilities
> regarding this matter. I can now see that the "Allow In Just what I
> want & Block All Others" is the more sensible way to go about
> it...instead of trying to block what seems like millions of different
> email addresses that sometimes have the same email in it.!!
>

> EGO II
I don't know if this may help but there is another possibility.
Much of my Inbox spam/annoying garbage emails used similar words such as
BANK, DEAR, Poor Widow,  Best quality drugs, FDA approved, and any
emails written in all upper case, and so forth.

I set up 3 filters, Adverts, Scams, Stuff  and in those set the Subject,
From, Body and To  to Contains, then matched any of those to regularly
occurring  2 or 3 word groups then set Delete from Server then Send to
Trash. I have gone from hundred and more a day to almost none coming
through, any that do are in the trash and are deleted on exit.
I found, by matching to a small group of words rather than one word then
setting [Match any of the following] it has reduced garbage emails very
significantly.

I do sometimes let the ANZ, Westpac, National bank scams through but
that is so I can report these to Telstra/Bigpond and let them and the
bank handle it.

Occasionally I get scam/spam which after searching seems to come from a
genuine overseas web site. In that case I send the salient part of the
code to the web site admin and let them deal with it.

HTH
Roger