Reverse E-Mail Blockage.....

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Mon Dec 30 05:16:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 01:57:52PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> If I have to double-check, what's the point of it?  Seriously!  How
> different is that than just hitting delete on the way through reading
> your mail?

Nothing--if you've only, say, 10 messages.  If you're talking about dozens
or hundreds, it makes a difference.  Seriously.

> I think I've been doing internet email for about a dozen years, now,
> can't say I've ever found anti-spam convenient.

I've been a consultant for almost 40 years, and doing E-Mail for something
like 30.  Among other things, I do civil forensic investigations--meaning
I incur the wrath of people who have a vested interest in getting back at
me. I most assuredly have found real anti-spam more than convenient.

> And, for what it's worth, it's not just an anti-spam measure.
> I really do not desire private messages from strangers.  The warning
> is upfront about it.

*Shrug.*  Your choice, of course.

> On the other hand, if I used a spamable address on this mailing list, I
> would need to use anti-spam software.  And every anti-spam solution that
> I've ever tried I consider to be utter crap and a pain to have to
> constantly manage.  It's *never* set and forget.

It sounds to me like you don't care for anti-spam solutions, and as such
have never really investigated the viable options.  I can understand your
sentiments, but don't agree with your conclusions.  It's your choice, and I
respect that.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat