satellite - toshiba c55-a5286

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 05:51:42 UTC 2013

The system is unable to work with Centos 6.5 for connecting to the
network. Currently downloading FC20 to see if that makes a diffference
with the updated Kernel, or updated drivers.

Right now, when I do a centos install, the page that has the network
config is greyed out, so the install isn't seeing the card. As a
result, the NM/netowrk config from the System/Accessories menus
doesn't function.

So I suspect I need to resolve the issues after doing the initial
installation process.

The lspci gives:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff1e
        Memory at c8500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        I/O ports at 3000 [size=128]
        Capabilities: [58] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [c0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/16 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [d8] MSI-X: Enable- Count=16 Masked-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [180] Device Serial Number ff-6a-db-bd-00-8c-fa-ff
        Kernel driver in use: alx
        Kernel modules: alx

02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188EE
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0191
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
        Memory at c8400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-e0-4c-ff-fe-81-91-01
        Capabilities: [150] Latency Tolerance Reporting

I'm unable to build on the system, as I can't access the netowrk to do
the yum, aside from whatever is already on the initial dvds for centos
6.5.

I've taken a look at the elrepos tree/site to see what might be
available for the solution.

I'm also looking to download/test other linux flavors to see
ifubuntu/mint/etc have the same issue with the wire/wireless
hardware/firmware.

Thoughts/Comments on how to resolve this would be helpful.