F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 30 18:24:07 UTC 2013

An unintended consequence of no default MTA in f20 is no local deliver
of system mail.  It IS possible to just ignore (or leave it to the logs)
stuff going on in a desktop system, but services like logwatch are very
helpful to maintain a healthy system.  Plus there is cron for regular
tasks we like to perform.

So no MTA seems good IF we can configure mailx to do the local
deliveries.  I am kind of assuming that some changes to /etc/mail.rc
might do part of the job.  Probably some /bin/sendmail script that maps
sendmail arguments to a mailx call.  Plus if you DO install sendmail or
postfix, it should undo this setup.

I suppose I should submit a bug report on this as the best way to get
the developer's attention.

But does anyone have any good recommendation(s) on how to do this? I
kind of like no MTA on resource straped systems, but we need to address
local delivery.