Reverse E-Mail Blockage.....

Eddie G. O'Connor eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 18:30:27 UTC 2013

On 12/29/2013 11:59 PM, Roger wrote:
> On 12/30/2013 03:08 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a friend who's email service sporadically bounces my email.
>>> Why?  Because I own my own domain, I use my hosting company's email
>>> servers instead of my ISP's and a small number of their customers
>>> are spammers.  Whenever their spam gets above a certain threshold,
>>> her ISP blocks any email access from those servers, and cuts us
>>> off.  This is why I dislike blacklists: they're just about
>>> guaranteed to produce at least 99% false positives because they're
>>> just an exercise in throwing the baby out with the bath water.
>>
>> Well this is all fascinating to me. I'm not using a mail server, just
>> trying to keep the size of my Inbox down, since the more spam it gets
>> the fatter it gets as well....I will be looking into all
>> possibilities regarding this matter. I can now see that the "Allow In
>> Just what I want & Block All Others" is the more sensible way to go
>> about it...instead of trying to block what seems like millions of
>> different email addresses that sometimes have the same email in it.!!
>>

>> EGO II
> I don't know if this may help but there is another possibility.
> Much of my Inbox spam/annoying garbage emails used similar words such
> as BANK, DEAR, Poor Widow,  Best quality drugs, FDA approved, and any
> emails written in all upper case, and so forth.
>
> I set up 3 filters, Adverts, Scams, Stuff  and in those set the
> Subject, From, Body and To  to Contains, then matched any of those to
> regularly occurring  2 or 3 word groups then set Delete from Server
> then Send to Trash. I have gone from hundred and more a day to almost
> none coming through, any that do are in the trash and are deleted on
> exit.
> I found, by matching to a small group of words rather than one word
> then setting [Match any of the following] it has reduced garbage
> emails very significantly.
>
> I do sometimes let the ANZ, Westpac, National bank scams through but
> that is so I can report these to Telstra/Bigpond and let them and the
> bank handle it.
>
> Occasionally I get scam/spam which after searching seems to come from
> a genuine overseas web site. In that case I send the salient part of
> the code to the web site admin and let them deal with it.
>
> HTH
> Roger
Now THIS sounds more like what I can do!...I mean it's not that I want
it to be perfect, but to have to sift through _so_ many junk mails just
to get to a REAL one?..I sometimes open my email client and sit for 25
minutes or MORE just hitting the "Delete" button! I swear if EVER I find
the person who invented spam?...I'm gonna hit him with a whiffle-ball
bat! LOL!

EGO II