F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 30 18:56:17 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 01:34 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:24:07 -0500
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> An unintended consequence of no default MTA in f20 is no local
>> deliver of system mail.  It IS possible to just ignore (or leave it
>> to the logs) stuff going on in a desktop system, but services like
>> logwatch are very helpful to maintain a healthy system.  Plus there
>> is cron for regular tasks we like to perform.
> If you want logwatch or have cron jobs with output you wish, feel free
> to install a MTA and configure it.
been there done that.  Looking to follow the flow of no MTA.  See if it
can be done.

>> So no MTA seems good IF we can configure mailx to do the local
>> deliveries.  I am kind of assuming that some changes to /etc/mail.rc
>> might do part of the job.  Probably some /bin/sendmail script that
>> maps sendmail arguments to a mailx call.  Plus if you DO install
>> sendmail or postfix, it should undo this setup.
> mailx is not a MTA.

It is a mail sender, typically to an MTA, but can it, or something else
'just' append /var/mail/user/ ?

>> I suppose I should submit a bug report on this as the best way to get
>> the developer's attention.
>>
>> But does anyone have any good recommendation(s) on how to do this? I
>> kind of like no MTA on resource straped systems, but we need to
>> address local delivery.
> Those systems that need delivery can install a MTA. ;)

Local delivery only, so nothing to transfer  ;)

> If you just want emails to go to another provider and your machine is
> connected to the internet, ssmtp is a good option (very simple to
> configure, just handles remote delivery).

No.  Local store only.  If I want it to go to another server, I will use
an MTA.  Though thinking about it, if I am building a slim NAS with the
arm distro, I might really WANT to use smtp...  hmmm.  But that is
another project.