CentOS HowTos

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 30 20:38:46 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 03:17 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Are you looking to build a mail server?  I can give you the links I
>> used, but I would recommend doing a mail server on Centos, not Fedora.
>> Unless you are experimenting..
> No, I'm not trying to build a proper mail-server.
> I collect email on my server from various (remote) mail-servers.
> This is then processed by postfix/amavis/clamav/spamassassin .
> Spam is marked by addition of [SPAM] or ***Spam*** to the Subject header,
> as well as addition of several other headers.
>
> As I understand it, the email is then passed through dovecot(?),
> to ~/Maildir/cur/ .
>
> This must be a standard setup.
> So how normally is spam dealt with, at this stage?
> You seemed to be suggesting that it could be dealt with earlier, by amavis?
> Or it could be left to the client MUA, KMail in my case?
> What is the norm?

I strongly doubt there is a norm.  :)

But the howtos on amavis (which integrates clamav), show how it can do
all sorts of things with spam.  What helped me a lot was:

http://campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServer

But I used the http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd to do a 'better'
job at configuring amavisd.    but it has been over 6 months since I
last looked at this.

What I do, is tag the spam and let my emailer (thunderbird) deal with
it.  The problem with dropping spam, is what if it is not? Being able to
do a search on Junk and finding something that I really needed, has made
me put up with > 500 spams per day.