New external harddrive and 106Mb unallocated - why

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 30 23:22:44 UTC 2013

I just got a Toshiba Canvio Desk 2TB external HD that my plans are to
delete the NTFS partition and put on an EXT4 one.

Thing is the first 106MB are unallocated.  Why?

If this was a Chinese product, I would be worried.  I actually found a
'call home' USB stick once.  One MIGHT think that Toshiba has decent
quality control.  But why the unallocated space; is this for sector
replacement?

Actually, I probably would not delete the partition, but only reformat
it as EXT4.

Seems to be a rather nice unit.  Drive did not power up until I
connected the USB; very convient not to have to unplug it to save on
power usage.