CentOS HowTos

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Dec 31 00:20:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 01:00:40AM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Monday, December 30, 2013 03:38:46 PM Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
> > > I collect email on my server from various (remote) mail-servers.
> > > This is then processed by postfix/amavis/clamav/spamassassin .
> > > Spam is marked by addition of [SPAM] or ***Spam*** to the Subject header,
> > > as well as addition of several other headers.
> > >
> > > As I understand it, the email is then passed through dovecot(?),
> > > to ~/Maildir/cur/ .
> > >
> > > This must be a standard setup.
> > > So how normally is spam dealt with, at this stage?
> > > What is the norm?
>
> > I strongly doubt there is a norm.  :)
> >
> > But the howtos on amavis (which integrates clamav), show how it can do
> > all sorts of things with spam.  What helped me a lot was:
> >
> > http://campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServ
> > er
>
> Thank you for your response.
> I looked at the above document, but as far as I can see it said nothing
> to answer my query, namely, how is spam email marked as spam
> by the addition of the header
> normally filtered into a Spam folder,
> preferably by dovecot, but possibly earlier by amavis or postfix?

Probably uses procmail for that. In procmail I use headers inserted
by spambayes like this:

	########### Feed it thru SPAMBAYES first ################
	:0 fw:hamlock
	| /usr/bin/sb_filter.py -f -d $HOME/.hammiedb

	# then filter out spam and unsure stuff....
	:0

	:0

which filters based on what the X-Spambayes-Classification: header says.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.