F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 03:03:14 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 02:27:06AM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 01:46:07 +0100
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was under the same impression, hence my original thread:
> >
> >   <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-December/443441.html>
> >
> > However I was told (by Frank) that it is possible using mailx.
> >
> >   <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-December/444265.html>
> >   <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-December/444304.html>
> >
> > So now I'm completely lost as to what is possible and what is not.
> > For now I have sendmail installed, but if possible I would like to
> > remove that (at least on my laptop).
>
> Apology for delay in  answering, away from PC. Saw new thread. Answered
> here?

No worries, it is holiday season ... "away from PC" is how it should be ;).

> With "Claws-Mail" it saves as numbered individual plain text files,
> mailx will create a dead.letter plain text file for mail it cannot be
> sent.
>

> sudo crontab -e
> */5 * * * * /usr/././system_mail
> cat system_mail
> mv ~/dead.letter ~/Mail/inbox/Local/2 (root is 3)
> That't the short of it.

Okay, now I follow.  I did get ~/dead.letter when mail failed during my
test.  Since in my case system mail is generated both by root and <user>
this would be an unworkable solution.  I think I will investigate Ed's
suggestions further.

Thanks and happy new year,

--
Suvayu