Updated to 19; now kernel panic on boot. No log

Sean Darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 03:26:50 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 06:39 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Sean Darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sadly, it's a real kernel panic. Everything stops. I can't even reboot. It's a good thing there's a power cord!
>>
>> I'll copy what's on the screen, and submit it as a bug report. Maybe someone smarter than I am can figure out what actually caused it.
>
> It's better and easier to take a photo, cell phone JPG is fine. Also include the results from lspci -nnvv (using the working kernel).

Great idea.

>> Looking at the FC18 kernel, it seems to happen about when the serial driver is initialized. Is there a way to disable the serial driver? I tried serial=0 on the kernel command line. That didn't seem to work.
>
> With the F18 kernel successfully booted, use lspci -nnvv to find the kernel being loaded for serial support and then blacklist it on kernel command line when attempting to boot the F19 kernel that's giving you problems.

[root at new-gateway ~]# lspci -nnvv | grep -C 2 ial
			[PN] Part number: BCM95787m
			[EC] Engineering changes: 106679-15
			[SN] Serial number: 0123456789
			[MN] Manufacture ID: 31 34 65 34
			[RV] Reserved: checksum good, 29 byte(s) reserved
--
			Ctrl:	Enable+ ID=0 ArbSelect=Fixed TC/VC=01
			Status:	NegoPending- InProgress-

Not sure what to do with this.