F20 journalctl

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Dec 31 13:16:11 UTC 2013

On 12/31/13 20:25, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:17:42 +0800
> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/31/13 19:24, Frank Murphy wrote:
>>> Has anyone found a way to:
>>> journalctl | grep "last 10 minutes"
>>>

>> man journalctl
>>
>>       --since=, --until=
>>            Start showing entries on or newer than the specified date,
>> or on or older than the specified date, respectively. Date
>> specifications should be of the format "2012-10-30 18:17:16". If the
>> time part is omitted, 00:00:00 is assumed. If only the seconds
>> component is omitted, :00 is assumed. If the date component is
>> omitted, the current day is assumed. Alternatively the strings
>> yesterday, today, tomorrow are understood, which refer to 00:00:00 of
>> the day before the current day, the current day, or the day after the
>> current day, respectively.  now refers to the current time. Finally,
>> relative times may be specified, prefixed with - or +, referring to
>> times before or after the current time, respectively.
>>

>> ???
> Been there already culdn'f find a last 10mins
>
> How does that give me 10 mins, and every 10 mins,
> without enternining specific time
> crontab -e
> "journalclt -b -10 | mailx "Journalctl for last 10 mins" user"
> Confused, hence the Q?

Not thinking straight since it is 3 hrs to New Year's.....  But, a "hack" would be.....

1,11,21,31,41,51 * * * * /usr/bin/date +%Y-%m-%d\ %H:%M:%S > /tmp/mydate
0,10,20,30,50,50 * * * * journalctl --since="`cat /tmp/mydate`" | mailx "Journalctl for last 10 mins" user"

There probably is a better way to get a timestamp from 10 minutes ago.....  And I can't now wrap my head around the "relative times" part of the man page.  Too much vodka.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts