F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Tue Dec 31 17:05:05 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 08:20 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> they aren't likely to be reading mail from the local machine (and less
> likely to be reading root's email).

That's the reason for /etc/aliases Just make an alias for root, sending
root mail to a certain user or users.

> So for mail delivery I think it
> would make more sense to be able to easily send it to remote addresses
> rather than trying to drop it into /var/mail.

/etc/aliases
root local_user
or
root some at where.org

should do it...

This should IMHO be a part of the install process. We then need an MTA
of some sort. (I mentioned this when dropping sendmail was discussed on
the devel list, but sadly they chose to remove the MTA, thereby loosing
mail from cron jobs, logwatch, etc.)

Most mail clients can receive local mail, so it ending up in
/var/spool/mail/something is better that it getting lost totally. You
can even do 'tail -100 /var/spool/mail/user' to read that mail :)

This change, combined with the syslog removal, will probably lead to
more users missing information, as they do not get any mails from the
system, and reading logs has become bit harder, as we no longer have
plain text files but must use journalctl (that on my systems is quite
sluggish).

> I think for normal desktop users, desktop alerts of abnormal activity is
> going to be more useful then log extracts. However, currently logwatch
> reports a lot of stuff that isn't really important and you wouldn't want
> generate alerts for everything it currently reports on.

Logwatch watches the logs and report strange things. I find it useful.
What would you like removed from it?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>