F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Tue Dec 31 17:55:34 UTC 2013

On 12/31/2013 06:27 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> That seems to be made up.  "ordinary users"  are not reading mails send
> to root or carefully reading /var/log/messages and to the extend any
> user is wanting to go through logs, they will find the features of
> integrated tools like journalctl much much more useful than raw grepping.

"Made up"? No. Rahul, "ordinary users" do read mail, and if they easily
can find out how to use journalctl, they could equally easily find out
how to get root mail sent to their own local mail spool (I have even
proposed that this, adding 'root local_user' to /etc/aliases, should be
a part of the install of Fedora).

Reading a text file is easy, fast, and creates no problems for most
users. Journalctl has on my systems been sluggish (simple searches have
taken a long time, even systemctl status takes long time when showing
the log lines), and if you want to get information about a certain event
you often have to use grep, the same grep command that you refer to, to
find what you are looking for.

Rahul. Mail is sent to root by different parts of the install, it could
be outputs from cron, logwatch, etc. Is it not better that this
information is sent to the main user on the system, than being lost? Is
it not better to include a simple basic form of log, in pure ASCII form,
that can be easily read?

Again, for you or me this is no problem. We can set up our computers to
do exactly whatever we want, but should we not strive to make the system
easy to use, and to get information from, even for an "ordinary user"
not as savvy as we?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>