OT: what's with the 'i'?

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 00:12:45 UTC 2013

> Way way OT:
>
> Just out of interest, why do some people use the non-existent word "i",
> not to mention other violations of capitalization rules when 1) their
> Shift key is clearly not broken, and 2) they aren't the poet e.e.
> cummings? I've seen a number of people do this (admittedly a tiny
> minority) and never understood it. Do they think it's cool? Are they
> expressing their inner rebel? Were they punished by their English
> teacher at school? Is hitting Shift too much effort? Enquiring minds
> want to know.
>
> Sorry, this has been bugging me for ages and I had just had to get this
> off my chest. Feel free to ignore.
>
> poc

Another irritating colloquial "figure of speech" is the use of the word
"and" in place of the word "to" in association with the word "try".

Example, I will try and work that out.

Is the speaker going to try that out, or is the speaker going to work
that out, or is the speaker planning on both?  What I assume is the
speaker meant that the speaker will try to work that out.

--
     _
    °v°