Need Help - .CD/DVD ROM Drive Not Seen By OS.....

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Feb 1 21:08:42 UTC 2013

Eddie O'Connor wrote:
> Sorry....I was under the impression that you never "named" another distro on a
> different mailing list....the distro is Red Hat Enterprise Linux......I
> downloaded the ISO from a mirror site and assumed it would install just like
> Scientific /CEntOS.....but its totally different....I guess if the only way to
> get it to work is to sign up for the RHN support I might have to just let it go....
>
> On Feb 1, 2013 2:05 PM, "Bill Davidsen" <davidsen at tmr.com
> <mailto:davidsen at tmr.com>> wrote:

> [...snip...]

>     This is silly, without the distro name we would be guessing. And if their
>     support list is exclusionary to that extent, is this really a direction you
>     want to go?

No, you can use CentOS or Scientific Linux to run the code without violating the
license. For personal use, or on a single system, there's little to choose
between them, CentOS is better known, SL is the software support group for the
SuperCollider, has a few tweaks useful if you want your own version of something
on a few machines of many, and still want updates to work. I type this on a
SL-6.x running in a VM, nice setup to avoid cost of porting from FC6 to current
tech.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>