humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Feb 1 23:56:35 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 03:41 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> The defaults are simple but GNOME Shell UI is actually extremely
> customizable.  The entire UI is just scriptable widgets,  With
> extensions you can modify anything you want.  It even has a javascript
> debugger built-in.  It is pretty similar to Firefox in that regard.

When it first came out, there were a number of things that couldn't be
changed at all, such as the fact that there was exactly one panel and it
was always on top.  Then, people started writing extensions to allow you
to change bits and pieces of this, but the Gnome devs were adamant that
they weren't going to fold any of them into Gnome Shell, no matter how
popular they were, and that they wouldn't make any effort to avoid
breaking them.  If they've learned a bit of flexibility since then,
that's nice, but I much prefer a DE where the devs actually care about
what their users want.  As an example, there's a regular poster on the
Xfce forum who's a core developer; that tells me that there's at least
one Xfce dev who cares about what the users think and is willing to
help.  And, to be honest, I like the way Xfce works.  If you enjoy using
Gnome 3, don't let me stop you; as I've written before, Linux is all
about choice.