"Install Updates & Restart" on a laptop

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Feb 2 22:17:30 UTC 2013

Rahul Sundaram writes:

> « HTML content follows »
>

> Hi
>

> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>    Or, perhaps, I'm missing something. This laptop was updated from F17 to
>    F18, and perhaps I need to install a package that automatically downloads
>    updates in advance, so on update everything gets installed locally, but
>    poking around with yum didn't find anything that seems to do that.
>

> Whatever is needed should have gotten pulled in via dependencies.  It is

This is not a dependency issue.

Nothing was pulled in because "Install updates and restart" restarted first,
and when the laptop started booting, the update kicked in, but without
activating wireless, apparently. As I've described. I'm not sure where
someone got the impression that some updates were retrieved, and just some
dependencies were missing, I thought that my description was pretty accurate.

I'm no big expert on these things, but I'd imagine it's going to be pretty
difficult to pull in anything, never mind their dependencies, if the
wireless doesn't turn on, and the laptop is not connected anywhere.

The fact that nothing was pulled in was fairly obvious, because after the
second reboot, after the laptop came up, and turned on its wireless, 'yum
update' proceeded to download everything that needed to be updated, and it
updated succesfully, since "Install updates and restart" failed to bloody do
anything at all.

So, can someone tell me whether "Install updates and restart" should
actually restart first, and then attempt to do install the updates, but
bring up wireless first, and that's what didn't happen here.

Now, I do recall that selecting "Install updates and restart" brought up the
usual "I'm gonna shut down in 60 seconds, sucker!" prompt. I didn't want to
wait, so I pushed the button to reboot immediately. Perhaps, the way that
this is supposed to work is that the download gets kicked off immediately,
and everything is expected to get downloaded within the 60 countdown timer,
then installed on reboot (but what if it takes more than 60 seconds to
download the updates, I wonder).

Which kind of makes sense to me. But, if that's the case, I shouldn't be
given the option to reboot immediately, but told to wait until everything
gets downloadeded.