OT: what's with the 'i'?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Feb 3 01:08:41 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 08:19 PM, doug wrote:
> On 02/01/2013 07:52 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> /snip/
>
>> Reminds me of a book that I bought that looked interesting... "Eats
>> Shoots & Leaves by Lynn Truss." It was about the need for things like
>> punctuation to clarify the intent of something. In the end, the
>> author includes a number of self adhesive commas, apostrophes,
>> periods, semi-colons and colons so one can fix the world's signage
>> guerrilla style. Yes, it's that absurd. It doesn't matter.
> I edit a small newsletter with about 1000 subscribers, and we get
> input from a variety of sources.
> For some of them, I have promised to ship a barrel of commas, to be
> used liberally!

In IEEE 802 document editing we use them liberally.  It is EXTREMELY
important that a later reader, who is not native to English MUST be able
to read the document and implement the chip design and code correctly.
We seem to debate endlessly the proper grammer and comma placement.  But
then we have been burned badly in times past and know it is important to
get it right.