Display rates -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 3 11:24:42 UTC 2013

On 02/02/2013 11:40 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> You didn't mention what type of video hardware you have or I just couldn't find that message.

        The monitor in question was a Viewsonic VX2035WM spec'd to work
        at 1680x1050 @60Hz.
        the video is on board, apparently ATI-Radeon and the motherboard
        is a low end Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 spec'd for 1920x1200.

        Presently the problem has been worked around by putting back the
        original monitor. I thought the Viewsonic had whiter white and I
        need all the contrast I can get.

> If your hardware driver is the intel driver then information from the "test" list may be useful.  In the thread "F18 doesn't see full laptop screen resolution" the information/solution was as follows.
>
> Check the Xorg.0.log file or your grub setup to see if nomodeset appears in the boot params.

        I suspect the configuration changes when the system "sees" a new
        monitor? I see no "nomodeset" there with the Dell monitor
        presently installed which is running at 1280x1024 [a different
        aspect ratio] but I may have missed it.

> Intel driver does not work with nomodeset on cmdline, so X falls back to VESA, which doesn't do widescreen modes.
>
> 1280x1024 is usually the highest available VESA mode.

        The ViewSonic monitor is presently connected to a server that
        suffered a kernel panic after I stopped a system update too
        soon! That solved it is presently running at 1024x768 as a
        generic monitor a similar low end Intel motherboard with on
        board video also. I bought two similar boards and put them in
        rack mount enclosures. They have the microprocessors soldered in
        at manufacture. Both work well for what they are doing but are
        slow compared to this computer.

        On the Intel board all I see in Xorg.0.log for Loadmodule is
        Intel, vesa, and fbdev. I guess that's where the nomodeset would
        appear, in any case I haven't made any such change myself. And
        the Intel board is running SL6, I don't have the board spec's at
        hand but is imagine they are similar to the video on the
        Gigabyte board and the monitor should run at higher rates than
        it is now?

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7   Scientific Linux 6.3