util-linux /mount / df broken most of the time

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Feb 5 22:02:39 UTC 2013

David G. Miller wrote:
> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:42:20 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>>> coreutils is reinstalled and clean
>>>
>>> i found out that "binutils" was borked and "ld" not found anymore
>>> "ld" is OK after "yum reinstall binutils" but df still does not
>>> show the rootfs
>>
>> How is that different from bug 887763?
>>
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/887763 : The output of the command "df" (without
>> any param) omits the line for the root filesystem

Actually, I don't believe that's correct. I think if / comes first in
/proc/mounts it shows, otherwise it doesn't. Actually it would be good to sort
the mounts and show hardware mounts before bind mounts, even when -a is being
used, sort on mount points, and generally make df output more human readable.

> Could be the same but interesting that not everyone (including me) sees it.  The
> bug suggests looking at the output of:
>
> stat --printf "%d\t%n\n" / /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs
>
> If the numbers for both / and /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs are the same, df doesn't
> output a line for /.  If they're different, no problem.

*Sometimes* omits the / line, it's not only bizarre logic, but indeterminate as
well. My impression is that a change was made, and instead of thinking about
what the user *did* want to see, decisions were made based on what the user
*didn't* want to see, in this case the bind mounts.

This is my impression, it may or may not reflect the actual coding process.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>