Poor quality watching Quicktime movies on F18

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:20:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 02/06/2013 04:26 AM, Andre Costa wrote:
>
>> Quite the contrary: this is a 8-core i7 desktop with a GeForce GT9800.
>> It should handle any videos just fine ;-) (as it always has done until
>> F18). There's clearly something wrong, I just don't know exactly what it
>> is. CPU usage doesn't spike too much while watching videos
>>

> Have you tried running top in a terminal while this is going on?  It can't
> hurt to know what process is using most of your CPU time when the videos
> slow down.

Thks Joe, I'll try that. But it doesn't look like it's a high CPU usage
issue, it looks as if video decoding is buggy.

I just tested getting rid of totem-mozplugin and installing
gecko-mediaplayer (which uses MPlayer). Firefox is now able to play videos
just fine, so it does seem to be some issue with Totem (or, more
specifically, GStreamer?). However, gecko-mediaplayer doesn't get along
well with Chrome, it simply can't load the plugin. So, either I switch back
to Firefox or I use it only when I want to watch Quicktime movies.

Damn :-/