Read AIFF metadata

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Mon Feb 11 02:56:57 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-02-10 at 13:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> "it no worky" is a very poor problem description, unfortunately. :-/

Ya, sorry about that. What I meant to say was soundconverter wouldn't
even load the AIFFs.  That is, I could see the files if I changed the
filter to "ALL" when looking for files to open, but after selecting the
file, I couldn't see it in the soundconverter main window.  I had
nothing to convert!

> It has been interesting enough to make me fetch my collection of audio
> test files and take a brief look myself:

You've gone way above what I was hoping for.  Just let me say I
appreciate very much the time you took to look into my AIFF problem.

> Totem (based on GStreamer 1.x instead) opens a dialog, offers to search
> for a plug-in, but doesn't find any.

I gave Totem a go (don't know why I didn't earlier).  Not only did it
play the AIFFs, but it also read the metadata!  The embedded album art,
the song title, artists etc. were all available.

I'm going to guess totem didn't work for you and did for me because I
have a gstreamer package installed that you don't.  There's also the
chance my AIFFs are slightly different than yours: perhaps yours are
throwing Totem for a loop. I'm pulling at straws here...

> If one drops that element, the pipeline works:
>
>   $ rm ~/love_theme.ogg
>   $ gst-launch-0.10 giosrc location="file:///home/personal/Music/test/love_theme.aiff" name=src ! decodebin name=decoder ! audiorate ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc quality=0.6 ! oggmux ! giosink location="file:///home/ms19/love_theme.ogg"
>   Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>   Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
>   Redistribute latency...
>   Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
>   Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
>   New clock: GstSystemClock
>   Got EOS from element "pipeline0".
>   Execution ended after 2308919408 ns.
>   Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>   Setting pipeline to READY ...
>   Setting pipeline to NULL ...
>   Freeing pipeline ...

This works for me, too.  Since I want to convert to flac, I used this:

gst-launch-0.10 giosrc location="file:///home/derp/user/Downloads/deniz_koyu-bong_original_remix.aiff" name=src ! decodebin name=decoder ! audiorate ! audioconvert ! flacenc mid-side-stereo=true quality=5 ! giosink location="file:///home/derp/user/Downloads/deniz_koyu-bong_original_remix.flac"

The metadata made it over to the flac: audacious played the converted
file and displayed the metadata without issue.

Soooo, is this a bug in soundconverter, or am I using soundconverter
incorrectly?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 3.7.3-101.fc17.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux