External monitor of Thinkpad W530

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Feb 12 09:42:14 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 02:23 AM, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Has anyone gotten an external monitor working on a Thinkpad W530 (or similar, T530, etc) laptop? I've got Fedora 18 x86_64 running integrated graphics only (I tried getting optimus to work but got tired and banging my head on the wall).
>
>   Any tips/pointers/gotchas will be much appreciated.

Hi

on my W520 I came to the conclusion that the external VGA is not connected
to the Intel chipset at all. It can only by driven by Nvidia hardware.

I worked out a solution (but it is not easy) where I drive the LCD with Intel
and the external VGA with Nvidia.
The secondary X server can be run and stopped indipendently, it is actually
a good setup if you have to use a projector, because you have the LCD with your
usual desktop and the VGA with just what you need to be shown.

I described how I did it some time ago here.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it