cpuinfo, bogomips and duo core

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 12 12:17:58 UTC 2013

Am 12.02.2013 12:58, schrieb Gordan Bobic:
> On 12/02/2013 10:46, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> means:
>> you buy much better hardware with more and faster CPU's
>> for a single device as you would buy for 20 machines
>> and most of the day one or two guests can allocate
>> most of the ressources on their own
>
> Sure, but that's consolidation, assuming you have loads that tessellate nicely. If your load is capable of
> saturating the bare metal, your performance will take a substantial hit if you virtualize. If you want to argue
> otherwise, describe your test methodology and results. Things may have improved somewhat from Core 2 to Core i, I
> haven't re-tested on my most recent hardware - plan to do so in a week or so.

my test methodology is practical workload and not constructed crap
i profile my own web-applications which are highly optimized

believe it or not, they are faster in a VMware guest as on the host
itself in many cases, both the same Fedora version with binary
identical packages optimized for corei7 and SSE4.2

-O3 -march=corei7 -mtune=corei7 -mmmx -msse2 -msse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -maes -fopenmp -mfpmath=sse