cpuinfo, bogomips and duo core

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 12 13:24:33 UTC 2013

Am 12.02.2013 13:38, schrieb Gordan Bobic:
>> -O3 -march=corei7 -mtune=corei7 -mmmx -msse2 -msse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -maes -fopenmp -mfpmath=sse
>
> That just tells me you didn't push the machine to full saturation.
>
> Virtualization takes resources, and you cannot go faster by adding overheads. The only exception to this is where
> you have hardware specifically designed for this, with a hypervisor in firmware running on proprietary resources
> that a generic bare metal OS wouldn't be able to access anyway (or at least it wouldn't know what to do with it).
> In such cases you have an added bonus that you can reboot the host without switching off the guests (and without
> migrating them elsewhere, either). But hardware like that is very proprietary and uncommon.

that just tells that you can disable a lot of services
and overhead in a VM you would never do on bare metal
and it tells that the hypervisor can schedule IO much
more efficient as a generic kernel without less overhead

however, it does not interest me to discuss with you
after years of expierence with virtualization and bare
metal for nearly any known type of servers with very
dfifferent and mixed load