nc missing option -z

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Feb 13 09:55:53 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 05:47 PM, James Hogarth wrote:

>     And you still get "Host is up" but, of course, the service you want isn't....
>

> Err read the man page? -Pn assumes the host is up (skips the initial ping in case something drops that when you are interested in a port) so it will say the host is up in that  case - but we don't care about the host being up... we want the service so you need to parse the service output.

My point being, grepping for "Host is up" doesn't fill the bill.  You're saying what I said....just differently.

I still prefer tcping since there is no need to grep or awk anything.  Or worry about text being changed in a later release.  Just rely on exit status.

--
Don't be bullied by the judgmental grammar and spelling police.