nc missing option -z

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Feb 13 11:02:23 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 06:24 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Installing anything is out of the question since I do not have admin
> rights in any of these other machines.
>
> I guess checking for installed packages is the only option left now.

It is *not* out of the question.  tcping doesn't need system privileges.

Download the tcping rpm...  Then....

For example do this...

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ rpm2cpio tcping-1.3.5-7.fc18.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idv
./usr/bin/tcping
./usr/share/doc/tcping-1.3.5
./usr/share/doc/tcping-1.3.5/LICENSE
./usr/share/doc/tcping-1.3.5/README
43 blocks

Now, since I keep user specific binaries in ~/bin

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ mv ./usr/bin/tcping bin/

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ bin/tcping -t 1 imap.gmail.com 993
imap.gmail.com port 993 open.

--
Don't be bullied by the judgmental grammar and spelling police.