F18: how can I share printers??

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at alice.it
Wed Feb 13 15:15:52 UTC 2013

fedora ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 13/02/2013 16:10:
> Ciao Antonio
> Do you use cups on your Printer Server? To find out, take a browser and
> enter the URL http://your.printer.server:631.
> If bloudy firewall stays in between, open port 631
> If you get a page on the above URL, then printing on your client is as
> easy as:
>
> on your client host, edit the file /etc/cups/client.conf and enter a
> line like
>
> ServerName your.printer.server
>
> If that file does not exist, create it and enter the line above. If the
> /etc/cups directory does not exist, create it and put the above file
> therein.
> After having created/edited this file, check to see which printers are
> available:
> In a terminal window enter the following command:
>
> lpstat -p
>
> and start printing on them.
>
> suomi
>
> On 2013-02-13 15:25, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> Tim Waugh ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 13/02/2013
>> 12:12:
>>>
>>> If you use system-config-printer, or its troubleshooter, you might find
>>> what's up.
>>>
>>> My guess is that firewalld is preventing CUPS Browse packets from being
>>> received.
>>>
>>> Tim.
>>> */
>>>

>>   yes, but as I am new to firewalld, what shall I do in order to share
>> printer.I don't see any cups service to let open
>> A point is: is sharing in Fedora easy for a standard user??? because we
>> are loosing the point of usability in my opinion, unless you disable
>> firewalld on all your networked computer

I am working as a newbie user, so I added the printer locally and it
works: from another networked computer I tried to add but it is not seen
remotely.
I think that a standard user has not to know if it is shared by cups or
any other devil tools, he expects to see on the list of shareable
printers, that's all. Please note that it was like this in F17, I don't
see why I lost my printer remotely in F17. And I think that we should
think also about easiness of use.

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F18(Spherical Cow) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com