ESXi on KVM

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Feb 15 10:23:59 UTC 2013

On 14/02/2013 21:14, Min Wang wrote:
> Hi
>
> has anyone successfully installed ESXi ( tried version) on the
> Fedora/Centos KVM?
>
> If so, what's the good the processor model?
>
> tried serveral combinatnion of cpu model and ESX 3.5 and 5.1 ( trial
> version) without success
>
> (1) tried ESX Sever 3i (3.5.0) build-207095 ( with pentinumpro, and
> other cpu model, even with host CPU configuration)
>
> it complains: the system has founda problem on your machine and can not
> continue
>
> No pages alloed to Noe 0-- big mimatch between BIOS and SRAT memory
> maps, or MTRR error, or user removed all momory from a Node.
> Try checking memory or upgrading BIOS.
>

> (2) tried ESX server 5.1
> VMware-VMvisor-Installer-201210001-838463.x86_64.iso
>
> complain about CPU model etc (I forgot the detailed error message.)

Why on earth would you want to stack two layers of virtualization? Is
one virtualization layer not slow enough for you?

I suspect you can only nest virtualization like this if your inner
virtualization layer doesn't require hardware virtualization extensions
(e.g. 32-bit kqemu inside a VM). I don't know off the top of my head if
the virtualization hardware extensions can be leveraged when nesting
VMs, and most modern solutions require hardware virtualization extensions.

Gordan