Samsung laser drivers for Linux - thinking aloud

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Feb 15 14:56:26 UTC 2013

Fernando Cassia wrote:

> So the $1M question is: can´t Samsung design drivers which can be
> installed via a package manager (rpm), or via a cups install routine,
> instead of the current method?. I´m sure they can, in theory.

I agree completely.
I have a number of Samsung devices (printer, Android, TV)
and while the hardware in all cases is of the highest quality,
the software is always bizarre in some way,
seemingly produced by someone whose thought processes
run along different lines to my own.
Eg my clp-325W printer is supposed to be WiFi-enabled,
but for some reason you have to put in a password to use this,
and I have never succeeded in doing this.
Apparently one has to press several buttons simultaneously
to change the password, but the instructions are obviously
for some other printer, since the buttons described
do not exist on this printer.
Many other people have encountered the same problem,
but Samsung's response to queries is to consult the supplier,
who in my case at least does not have the slightest idea what to do ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net