Google Earth runs for all users except me

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 16 07:37:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 01:54 +0100, poma wrote:
> On 02/15/13 22:00, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> So much is obvious.  I had hoped to avoid having to recreate my
> >> environment, which has taken me a lot of work to get right.
> >
> > "ls -lha ~/"
> >
> > if there any google folder?
> > delete this folder
> >
> > kill the whole userhome for one application is an idiotic
> > suggestion - nearly any user application has it's setting
> > in /home/username/.appname and after delete this folder the
> > specific application is reset
> >

> There are:
> ~/.config/Google
> ~/.googleearth
> Thus, removing them will not improve the application itself.
> There are substantial shortcomings which Google persistently neglects.
> e.g. One must download obscure version of the 'libGL.so.1'[1][2]
> regardless installed one by distro.
> Even so, with 'nouveau', there are no images at all[3],
> google-earth-stable_current_x86_64.rpm 7.0.2.8415.
> What a joke.

Interesting -- so there's more configuration info for google-earth in
~/.config/Google .  And deleting it has the good result that there is
now a cursor in the display area, which there never was before.
Unfortunately still no images.

So it looks like I'll have to follow Mark LaPierre's advice to clean out
my home directory and then restore configuration files one by one till
bad things happen.  A convenient time to do this will be when I upgrade
to F18, which I plan to do soon, as soon as it has time to stabilize.
Upgrading to another release level usually produces so much change in
the windowing system that I have to start with the defaults and then
spend a while customizing.

Many thanks to you all - jon