Custom Partition Fedora 18

jonc jonc at downfromthetrees.com
Sun Feb 17 13:22:16 UTC 2013

On 02/17/2013 06:35 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> Funny you should say that. I am a refugee to KDE on non-RAM-limited
> machines specifically because I found Gnome 3 so utterly unusable when
> I first saw it that I cannot imagine myself ever trying it again. And
> I use XFCE on my ARM machines with limited amounts of RAM. Not only am
> I not convinced that the Gnome 3 developers know what their users'
> needs are, I am not convinced that they even know who their users are;
> and this is fine for the reasons I've said before - it's their project
> to run or ruin as they please. What I find harder to explain is why
> distribution packagers are annoying their users by entertaining the
> project maintainers' experiments.
>
> Gordan

FOSS has no reliable and accurate way of determining who likes what.
Anecdotal online remarks represent only the view of the self-selected
people who post them. We are typically much more motivated by
dissatisfaction to make the effort to complain than we are by
satisfaction. Developers and designers have no particular reason to
assume that people who go online to attack, or praise, their products
represent broader opinion.

Many of the anti-Gnome 3 rants allege the developers and designers broke
a bond of trust with users when they abandoned Gnome 2, that they have
some kind of ethical obligation to let user wishes guide their efforts
(ignoring the reality that user wishes cannot be known in any accurate
way).  I think that attitude is bogus and comes from a fundamental
misunderstanding of the reasons FOSS exists.

My own preference for Gnome Shell, suitably tweaked, makes sense to me.
The last version of Windows I bought for my own use was the first XP
release, which was rather a long time ago.  I've used  both Linux and OS
X for more than 15 years. On Linux, I spent a lot of time with Slackware
and window managers like WindowMaker. I've always preferred an empty
desktop, and docks to panels. I did spend a lot of time with Gnome 2 on
CentOS, but never used multiple workspaces because I can't be bothered
to switch between them. Ditto on OS X.

So, I've never really like the panel and desktop icons approach common
to Windows/KDE/Gnome2/XFCE.  My personal preference, though, doesn't
mean that the designers and developers of those environments are doing
something wrong.  Some people like vanilla, some chocolate, some
strawberry.  It's all ice cream.