DVDs won't play

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 00:41:02 UTC 2013

Four days ago I ran the fedora-update script to move from F17 to F18.

Everything seems to work, except one thing: applications like vlc and
Dragon, that I used to play DVD movies, won't open the disks.

Whether they are commercial disks or the ones I prepared myself, makes
no difference: the disks won't play. The disks will mount, but
multimedia applications do not show up in the list of suggested options.

When I open vlc and tell it to "open a disc," it looks for a disk at
mount point "/dev/dvd" and says it can't find it.

Dragon seems to know that I have a disk in the drive, and even
recognizes its volume name. But it never even gets to playing the
selection menu.

In F17, I lost the ability to play commercial disks. Apparently I never
installed libdvdcss2. I tried that this time. It makes no
difference--because my multimedia apps won't play even the disks that do
/not/ need libdvdcss* to play.

These two applications will play multimedia files--except that vlc will
no longer play Matroska Video (.mkv) files, though Dragon will.

I installed "rpmfusion" to get vlc.

Any advice? (Other than simply "rip the DVDs to your hard drive and have
done with it." That's the perfect way to fill your hard drive to
capacity, a thing I prefer to avoid.)

Temlakos