DVDs won't play

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:22:48 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 06:31 AM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> Or, add a /dev/dvd that points to /dev/sr0, then all DVD supporting
>>> software works in the way that you expect it to.
> Ed Greshko:
>> Of course, since the /dev directory is not permanent and gets created
>> at boot time you'll need to do it in such a way that it gets
>> re-created at boot time.
> Naturally.
>
> In my opinion, this should have been done during install.  It *should*
> be *well* known that many applications that use the DVD expect to
> find /dev/dvd to work with, and the device should have been created.  It
> is bad form to expect all those applications to change from working in a
> logical manner to having to use some random device name.  Not to mention
> completely unnecessary to force the user to have to resolve it, *it* is
> the computer, *it* is supposed to do the work for you.

Thank you all for your advice.

Putting in /dev/sr0 did solve the problem--though I wonder why the
program offered a bunch of options, in the form /dev/sg?, none of which
were acceptable. But at least now that I have done it once, the
application will remember it for next time.

By the way, Tim, I agree: someone on the development team ought to
anticipate things like this. If this distribution hopes to gain more
followers, then at least make sure your applications get started, so
that people will find out whether they will break or not.

Temlakos