Custom Partition Fedora 18

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Feb 18 15:22:23 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 01:49 PM, jonc wrote:
> On 02/18/2013 06:31 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:50:22 +1030
>> Tim wrote:

>>> Or who despises something, but still carries on using it, anyway. Nor
>>> can you tell why, such as whether they have no choice (e.g. not their
>>> computer), or any other reason.
>>>
>> In fact FOSS has no way to tell if the passionate advocates of
>> nonsense like Gnome 3 are actually in the pay of evil corporate
>> giants who want to see Linux destroyed and are deliberately
>> inventing the worst possible systems (as long as we are mentioning
>> things we can't know :-).
> Well, I do know that most of the attacks on Gnome 3 I see seem to boil
> down to it being different from Gnome 2. All of a sudden, people began
> calling that the "traditional desktop". Who knew Linux users were such
> conservative stick-in-the-muds? I guess the developers should have
> packed it in and just fixed bugs, because perfection was reached with
> Gnome 2.32. ;-)

And what is the problem with not improving things that don't need
improving? There needs to be a distinct line between maintaining a good,
stable familiar product and going off on a tangent with experimental
interfaces. The way most people see it, Gnome 3 is exactly that - a UI
experiment, not something you should be bundling into a stable product.

> If FOSS developers and designers depended for their incomes on selling
> their products, then Gnome 2 would probably still be around, because
> there would be money to be made selling Gnome 2 apps. Much like
> Microsoft has kept XP around for years. But, we FOSS users are
> essentially recipients of charity (and unpaid testers of undone software
> released too early), given to complain when our free plate of food
> contains something we don't like.

Perhaps, but a lot of us are also contributors to other projects, so the
karma does balance out for some.

> What happened to Gnome 2 -- forked by MATE -- is, btw, exactly what is
> supposed to happen in FOSS.

I couldn't agree more. It is a great shame that this doesn't happen more
often, but when the dissatisfaction of users really gets to a point
where enough momentum for a fork is achieved, it is a pretty damning
statement.

Gordan