Network configuration on F18

Martín Marqués martin.marques at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:23:23 UTC 2013

I just finished reinstalling (fresh install from my old F16) my fedora
server which ended up with a bad disk.

The problem I'm seeing is related to, AFAICS, NetworkManager collision
with Network. In this server I don't want NM as I have a static IP
which should come up on interface eth0 (found that some configuration
files changed).

What I did was add this to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="c8:60:00:5a:f6:6c", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

And copied my old ifcfg-eth0 file from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
of my old system to the new one.

Now I can't get the server to come up with NM disabled and
Network.server enabled and giving me a good network configuration.

Also, and I think this is due to the network problem, my X session
gets stalled when finishing to start (a few minutes). The same when I
go to the terminal tty: they are blank for a moment and then the login
prompt comes up.

Is there any headline I can read on how to configure network without NM on F18?

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador