Removing nVidia

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Feb 19 03:44:35 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 05:40 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 16:49:11 -0800
> Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
>
>> Right now, my desktop computer is getting a brain transplant.  Alas,
>> the nVidia graphics card I've been using won't fit, and the new card
>> is neither ATI nor nVidia.  Now, I know that once it's up and running
>> I can use either yum or yumex to get rid of all the nVidia cruft, but
>> that's not what I need to know.
>>
>> What I want to find out is what, if anything, I'll need to do to get
>> it booting properly in the first place, as the kernel lines in
>> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg all refer to kmod-nvidia.  (At least, I think
>> they do, but I can't exactly check right now.)  Is there anything
>> special I'll need to do, either at boot or later to tidy this up?
>
> AFAIK, the kernel will be able to boot anyway, so you shouldn't end up
> with a dead system. It will load the nvidia kernel module, which will
> probably fail to detect any nVidia cards (since, as you say, none will
> be present). This might force X to fail, but not necessarily.
>
> Anyway, in the worst-case scenario, X will fail completely, but you'll
> still be able to access a text console. If that happens, login as root,
> do a yum remove kmod-nvidia, delete any stale /etc/X11/xorg.conf files
> you might have, and reboot. This should be enough to reset the X
> configuration to something that looks like a Fedora-default, and from
> that point there is a very good chance that X will autoconfigure itself
> correctly and successfully, out-of-the-box (after a reboot, of course).

Sorry for so much quoted text, but I needed context.  The new mobo is
here and will only boot into Maintenance Mode, with no network access.
Attempts to move to a full text boot fail.  I'll try to remove both
kmod-nvidia and akmod-nvidia, but I don't know if yum will do that
off-line.  If not, what next?