Custom Partition Fedora 18

jonc jonc at downfromthetrees.com
Tue Feb 19 13:33:13 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 07:01 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> And now you touch upon another important issue. This is more of a
> distro maintenance issue. It is also probably why Ubuntu maintainers
> pay more attention to such things - because their users are their
> _customers_. Without those, there's no revenue.

Well, there's something I can agree with.  Ubuntu sells services much
like Red Hat, and  tries to do deals with hardware OEM's.  So, they have
paying customers. *That's* the kind of constraining influence on
developers that does not exist in the free-as-in-beer world of Fedora
and most everywhere else in FOSS.

Being dependent on customer revenue encumbers developers with the need
to keep those customers happy.  It limits their freedom.  You wouldn't
kill Gnome 2 if your income relied on its existence.

Fedora doesn't really need to worry about having happy users as long as
it has enough users to shake out its software.  Red Hat, though, is a
business, with stockholders.  They have considerably less freedom to do
as they please.