FedUp experiences; moving to an F18 life; and what's up w/ F18 PostGIS availability?

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue Feb 19 15:36:08 UTC 2013

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:
>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> Currently, I'm on my third F18 experience:

[...]

>> Experience #3 - upgrade a home-assembled dual core box from F17 to F18
>> using FedUp.
>>
>> After issueing the following command:
>> fedup-cli --network 18 --debuglog /var/log/fedupdebug.log

[...]

>> General guidence in remarks retrieved Google say to wait for the FedUp
>> upgrade, which is in testing, from fedup-0.7.2-1.fc17.noarch to
>>
>> Comments were found here:
>> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/**question/3519/error-update-**
>> from-fedora-17-to-fedora-18-**via-fedup<https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/3519/error-update-from-fedora-17-to-fedora-18-via-fedup>
>>
>> The latest Fedup in F17 test is:
>> fedup-0.7.3-0.git20130128.**fc17.noarch.rpm       56.6 kB 1/31/13
>> 11:37:00am
>>
>> Checking koji for project status, I see:
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/**koji/buildinfo?buildID=381043<http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=381043>
>>
>> Any further guidence from other users?
>>
>> Much thanks,

[...]

> Sorry to hear it is not working out Max, I hope it will be addressed soon.
>
> Is there a particular reason you feel you need to go through the trouble
> upgrade to F18 though? I was planning to, but after all the horror stories
> that have made the rounds here, I am seriously considering waiting for F19
> unless I absolutely need F18. At the moment, I have F17 running as solid
> as
> a rock on my box, and there is little reason to change that.

I tend to keep my Fedora-based machines on the current release cycle;
while systems aren't my core IT strength, going through the exercise every
6-8 months exposes to things at the periphery of my IT
understanding/knowledge.

On this go-around, I'm 2/3 of the way there, one more machine to go. Going
through the various googled information my upgrade problem is tied to
flaws in fedup; these have been recognized, and a fedup upgrade has been
readied for release. What I don't know, is how the Fedora Updates cycle is
prioritized.

My F18 experience, in general, has been ok. I'm a frequent user of PostGIS
and Postgresql; given that F18 is now bundled w/ Postgresql 9.2, PostGIS
2.0.x and related dependent packages have not been upgraded/made available
in time for the F18 release; they still aren't available, several weeks
after F18 release (an updated Postgis 2.0 et al. for F18 recently got
canned by reviewers).

All of this makes F18, somewhat unstable as ecosystem supporting
Postgresql/PostGIS.

In some ways, that's the nature of the Fedora Project: push the Linux
bleeding edge. Nevertheless, some sense of scheduling and progress would
help (as in a news source).

Anyone?

> --
> Best,