copy full system from old disk to a new one

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 19 17:27:21 UTC 2013

Am 19.02.2013 18:19, schrieb Ian Malone:
> On 17 February 2013 21:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> You can easily change/tailor your UUIDs with tools like tune2fs
>>
>> have fun change also the RAID UUID's everywhere
>> and setup all identical because you have also
>> internal UUIDs on the RAID-partitions
>>

>> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/mdadm.conf
>> MAILADDR root
>> AUTO +imsm +1.x -all
>> ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=4 UUID=1d691642:baed26df:1d197496:4fb00ff8
>> ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid10 num-devices=4 UUID=b7475879:c95d9a47:c5043c02:0c5ae720
>> ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid10 num-devices=4 UUID=ea253255:cb915401:f32794ad:ce0fe396
>>
>> oh yeah and the tun2fs-output of /dev/md0 is
>> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ tune2fs -l /dev/md0 | grep UUID
>> Filesystem UUID:          1de836e4-e97c-43ee-b65c-400b0c29d3aa
>>
>> again: have fun to reacreate this setup 1:1 after rsync to
>> new drives - i bet it would not work at the end - well it
>> may not interest you on your setups, mine are always two
>> identical machines which are synced daily
>>
>>> The "dd" approach has a bunch of disadvantages, one of the biggest is
>>> misalignment if your new drive is a SSD or advanced format HDD
>>
>> which misalignment?
>>
>> if i switch to SSD some years later as soon as 4x2 TB are at a
>> normal price i will simply remove disk 1, insert a SSD, rebuild
>> RAID and after the rbuild the same for the other 3 drives
>>

> I don't have a solid reference for this, only hearsay, but dd as a way
> to transfer filesystems or partitions to SSD probably interferes with
> wear-levelling.
> http://serverfault.com/questions/282555/zeroing-ssd-drives
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ssd.html
>
> I guess RAID tools must  now have some way to address this

that is why i said "if 2 TB SSD's are at a normal price" which
will not happen now AND not until i trust them which is not
the case now and at least a disk have to survive running
full without damage/impact for call it trustable

the SD-card of my HTC hero destroyed the whole phone with
overheat and the root cause was that it no longer did write
any data but confirmed "all OK", i tried to put the SD-card
on my PC, formatted it with different filesystems, did
overwrite it with zero as also with random crap and each
time after i took it out of the reader and inserted it
again the last written data days ago where untouched

NOTICE: and not a single warning in "dmesg" or /var/log/messages
the whole time while any spinning disk would lead to warnings
or errors in such cases - you understand while i do not trust
them currently