copy full system from old disk to a new one

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Tue Feb 19 18:44:25 UTC 2013

On 19.02.2013, Reindl Harald wrote:

> and why did you strip the part where i showed you that any of my
> filesystems of the last 5 years have a 4 KB blocksize as also
> any of my hardware of the last 5 years is "newer"?

Because what you posted doesn't give any information on how your
partitions are aligned, actually. Just having a FS using 4k blocksize
on top of a misaligned partition doesn't work out.

Cloning a disk using "dd", you most probably will create misaligned
partitions on any advanced format disk, which most of the newer drives
are.