UEFI support from command line

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Feb 19 21:41:05 UTC 2013

Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way to know without entering BIOS, whether your machine supoports
> UEFI or not ? I would appreciate if someone with a machine with UEFI
> support will check whether when running "dmidecode" you see UEFI in the output.

Based purely on what I have observed, as opposed to standards, claims, or
official pronouncements (which may be more correct), if you can boot Linux now
you do not have a UEFI enabled system.

I have seen claims that FC18 will boot on UEFI, based on a sample size of one
and Live-CD (x86_64) booting off a USB thumb drive, that is not the case. It
seems that UEFI is not required to recognize the token MS sold Linux, so some don't.

If UEFI is active you can't run dmidecode, so the question may boil down to if
anything shows when UEFI is present but not enabled, like SElinux in advicory mode.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>