Odd Question, Wifi

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Wed Feb 20 09:07:17 UTC 2013

From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Jim
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:40 PM
To: Community support for Fedora users
Subject: Re: Odd Question, Wifi

On 02/19/2013 03:13 PM, JOYCE POLZIN wrote:

________________________________
Is there any way a Unsecure Wifi connection,  one can determine how to
contact the owner about his connection.

I can't visualise how , but I just thought I would just ask.
--
What do you want to do?  Wardrive around your neighborhood and then start knocking on doors?
You will probably get arrested as in many locals I believe that wardriving has been outlawed.

No I'm not a Wardriver, I just think the guy shouldn't be using a Unsecured AP,  It leads to nothing but trouble down the road, when a hacker logs on to his open AP and starts hacking the Dept of Defence and the FBI shows up at his door one day and takes his computer and everything connected to it.

I do have some very good neighbours and hate to see one hauled off to jail for something he wasn't aware of.

An open access point isn’t such a issue.
Actually, I wouldn’t put my trust in the security measures provided by an A.P.: They are either too weak, or they are too costly in performance.

It is more controlling who is using it, which can be obtained by only allowing ipsec or openvpn through the A.P. to your own firewall.
Without the proper keys/certs, one only get an non-routable ip address. Big deal.

Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, word u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het electronisch verzenden van berichten.