Custom Partition Fedora 18

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:28:42 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 08:15 AM, jonc wrote:
> On 02/18/2013 03:34 AM, Tim wrote:
>> On Sun, 2013-02-17 at 18:05 -0500, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>>> Am going to look into this....as I want to "build" a server at home,
>>> and see what I can do with it.....maybe some form of central
>>> information repository?......I'll think of something!
>> Having a central server is very useful.  You can store *your* files on
>> it, your mail on it, etc, instead of on the computer that you use, and
>> they'll always be there.  Then, you can try out different distros and
>> software on a client computer, without losing any of your personal
>> stuff.
>>

> Useful, also, for backups, especially a backup of a separate home
> partition if you do change distributions often.  You can easily set up
> a separate home partition and include it, unscathed, in any new setup,
> but having that backup is a very good thing.

Well I've learned my lesson when it comes to backups. (Lost an entire 2
year's worth of data, pictures, movies, files, folders, and music!) I
was using Windows 2000 at the time, and was constantly under pressure
from my current job at the time, which left me in a tizzy on a daily
basis! I had the PC up and running at home, and everything seemed to be
working, (I mean what could POSSIBLY go wrong!?...right? It was Windows
2000 we're talking about..the "latest and greatest"...RIGHT?..LoL!)
Needless to say I had come home thinking I was going to be able to
download some files from work, only to find my machine in a "Blue
Screen" state, and it never recovered after that, I even went so far as
to  try to access the files taking the HD out and putting it in a
different machine, but whatever happened? it completely fried my
drive.....from THAT day forward...I make an incremental backup at the
end of EVERY week! And then I duplicate THAT to an external USB storage
drive, which then gets placed in a Folder on my Linux Mint
box.....(that's right!....I will NEVER lose "My Stuff" EVER again!)

EGO II

EGO II