Custom Partition Fedora 18

David dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:09:20 UTC 2013

On 2/21/2013 9:55 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 21/02/2013 14:31, David wrote:

>>> Well I've learned my lesson when it comes to backups. (Lost an entire 2
>>> year's worth of data, pictures, movies, files, folders, and music!) I
>>> was using Windows 2000 at the time, and was constantly under pressure
>>> from my current job at the time, which left me in a tizzy on a daily
>>> basis! I had the PC up and running at home, and everything seemed to be
>>> working, (I mean what could POSSIBLY go wrong!?...right? It was Windows
>>> 2000 we're talking about..the "latest and greatest"...RIGHT?..LoL!)
>>> Needless to say I had come home thinking I was going to be able to
>>> download some files from work, only to find my machine in a "Blue
>>> Screen" state, and it never recovered after that, I even went so far as
>>> to  try to access the files taking the HD out and putting it in a
>>> different machine, but whatever happened? it completely fried my
>>> drive.....from THAT day forward...I make an incremental backup at the
>>> end of EVERY week! And then I duplicate THAT to an external USB storage
>>> drive, which then gets placed in a Folder on my Linux Mint
>>> box.....(that's right!....I will NEVER lose "My Stuff" EVER again!)
>>

>> Win2K is kinda' old.
>
> No aero, no metro, relatively little bloat (by Windows standards) -
> what's not to like? :) Newest and most bleeding edge isn't always the
> best. Most of the time it isn't even good (distribution packagers - take
> note!).

Aero can be disabled. KDE and Gnome also have Aero settings. Windows 8
looks, and acts, like my smartphone.

Win2K is 13 years old. No longer supported so no updates or security
patches. Since it cost in the neighborhood od $300 there is a strong
possibility it was a pirated copy. Which can be a security problem.

>> As for the blue screen? That is / was a error
>> report and had you actually read it it would have told what had crashed,
>> usually a hardware driver which are provided by the hardware
>> manufacturer, and how to fix it.
>
> Did you _actually_ read the original post? If the FS was trashed to the
> point where another machine couldn't mount and read it, troubleshooting
> the BSOD issue itself wouldn't have helped in the slightest.

So you are saying that before 'you' learned just what caused this damage
you would just happily install another drive in the suspect machine and
carry on?

And installing a trashed drive in a different machine was not a great
idea either. That *might* have resulted in two trashed machines.

--

  David