NetworkManager update breaks DNS config

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Feb 22 03:35:37 UTC 2013

On 02/22/13 11:18, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I just updated F18 using yum. The updates included NetworkManager-0.9.7.997-2.fc18.x86_64. This broke DNS client services on my machine, i.e. I couldn' t browse, email, or do lookups on my main machine, even though other local machines all continue to work. After some head-scratching the problem appears to be that /etc/resolv.conf has been changed to have 127.0.0.1 as the (only) nameserver. Since I' m not running bind or anything similar, this means that DNS is effectively banjaxed.
>
> My resolv.conf is very simple (one entry, pointing to my router, which is configured to point upstream correctly).
>
> Manually editing resolv.conf fixed the issue temporarily, but I imaginethat NM will shortly intervene to undo the change.
>
> Just thought I'd alert people to this before they too are bitten. I'm posting this from a VM which luckily has its own resolver.

I have 2 test VM's both with

[egreshko at f18x ~]$ rpm -q NetworkManager
NetworkManager-0.9.7.997-2.fc18.x86_64

One is getting all the address information via DHCP, the other only its routing and IP information.  i.e. using static addresses for DNS.

The other is configured as yours is, I think, and the DNS info comes from a D-Link router pointing the router which has DNS pointing to my ISP's DNS servers.

Everything is running just fine on all my systems...

[egreshko at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.0.1

You've downgraded NetworkManager to confirm it fixes the issue?

--
Don't be bullied by the judgmental grammar and spelling police.