Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-KDE.iso: lame question

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Feb 23 00:23:57 UTC 2013

Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:14:50 -0500 jonc <jonc at downfromthetrees.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/22/2013 12:01 PM, Maurizio Marini wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> please excuse very lame question, don't blame me :)
>>> I am downloading this iso:
>>> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux//releases/18/Live/x86_64/Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-KDE.iso
>>> that is 831 MB
>>> Well, how can it fit into a normal CD? Aren't  they still 700MB circa?
>>>
>> It doesn't fit.  You need a DVD.
>>
>> Install images are getting bigger, and not just Fedora's.
>>
>> If you're in a position to do a network install, that iso fits easily on
>> a CD.  Click on "Software Sources" in Anaconda and select KDE.
>
> better option: copy to a usb using uunetbootin and then boot from
> usb.....?
>
> which makes me wonder: why do we still need to make these cds/dvd
> install media? why not also make some media that works on usb?
> not clear if it can be done: only wondering aloud of course....

You don't need to make the media, but the tools are in place to make the media
_image_ and then you can burn it to optical media or USB as you like. Many
systems really want to boot a CD image, even on a thumb drive. And I have
sereral which will boot the Live-CD off USB written by unetbootin, but want the
install DVD to be written to USB with dd, no boot magic. Life is too short to
fight every battle, I get the machine what it wants, although with fc18 every
upgrade is an install, because it is quicker to just reinstall than fight with
fedup first, then either reinstall anyway or spend more time getting back to a
stable system than reinstall takes.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>